An oil change is an essential part of vehicle maintenance, and doing it yourself can save you a lot of time and money. This video explains the steps to changing your oil safely.
1. Locate your vehicle’s oil drain plug. It is typically located near the bottom of the engine.
Use a wrench to loosen and remove it. An oil change garage can also help you locate it.
2. Place a drain pan or bucket under the drain plug and slowly loosen the drain plug to let the oil flow out.
3. Clean the area around the drain plug with a clean rag before reinserting it into your vehicle.
4. Remove your vehicle’s oil filter. Use a wrench to loosen the filter and carefully remove it from its housing.
5. Install the new filter. First, apply a thin layer of fresh oil to the rubber gasket on the new filter. This will help it seal properly. Insert the new filter into its housing and tighten it until it’s snug.
6. Use a funnel to pour the new oil into the fill hole.
7. Replace the fill cap and wipe down any remaining spills or drips around your engine with a clean rag.