It has been a busy six months. With college gymnastics trips to Louisiana, Arkansas, and Illinois, and high school show choir trips to Tennessee, you have been putting a lot of miles on your car. A lot of Mike’s on your tires. Although you fly to the far away meets in places like Alaska, you drive to most places. One thing that has put a bit of a wrench in your plans, however, is the aging set of tires on your most fuel efficient car. A trip to the tire company might fix the problem, but the decision about what kind of tires to purchase has taken a decent amount of research.
New tires, retread tires, used tires, luxury tires. Choices and decisions that need to be made when you visit a tire company. Although the decision can be difficult and the choices are many, few decisions that you make are more important than selecting the right kind of tire. From safety to comfort, tire company choices are important. Once the decision is made, proper maintenance, including tire rotations and inflation checks, are key to protecting your investment and guaranteeing a safe and a smooth ride.
- A tire rotation should typically be done every 7,500 miles, or more often as recommended by the car manufacturer.
- Some experts recommend checking the tire alignment every 6,000 miles, or whenever a vehicle’s oil is changed, Not surprisingly, many things can happen that would affect a tire’s alignment in that short amount of time.
- Most car experts recommend that when your tires? tread has worn to 6/32nds of an inch, it is time to get those tires replaced.
- One way to safe on the road during winter weather is to install winter tires. Whether a car has all-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, or rear-wheel drive, all four winter tires must be installed, never just two.
- Owners who neglect the cost of maintenance on their cars contribute to the fact that these oversights cost the economy more than $2 billion each year.
- Tires that are under inflated result in unnecessary tire stress, irregular wear, loss of control, and can even cause accidents. A tire can lose up to 50% of its inflation pressure and still not appear to be flat, so it is important to check these levels with a tire gauge.
- How long have you been driving on tires that you know you should replace? Every mile that you travel on worn tires is a mile where you risk the safety of yourself and your passengers.
- Results from most tests indicate that hydroplaning starts at 47 miles per hour when a car is cornering on worn out tires, those with a groove depth below 1.6 mm. In comparison, the corresponding speed for new tires is 60 miles per hour.
- It depends on your insurance provider, but many vehicle owners can save 5% off a car insurance premium, simply for equipping a vehicle with four winter tires.
- Drivers who are safe understand the importance of vehicle maintenance and few things are more important than a dependable set of tires.
- Every decision as a driver affects your safety. Make sure that before you even turn on the ignition that you are equipped with a reliable set of tires.